Thursday, May 31, 2007

Birthdays

So this is my 39th birthday. I can remember days (long ago) when I thought that really sounded old. Now I am here and I think it's peanuts! Strange how perspective changes.

Which brings me to some interesting thoughts today. As I was praying and journaling earlier this morning I was confronted by God with a different perspective on birthdays. To us, the day of our physical birth is a big deal. But if you think about it from God's perspective, He knew us from the moment of our conceptions (Pslam 139). Perhaps God celebrates our birthdays as the day we first began to be a part of His universe? And since God isn't really limited by time and space anyway, maybe He just celebrates our lives everyday as the gift He believes we are to His world? He is thankful everyday, all the time, for the fact that we are here and are a part of what He is doing in the universe. We are a gift and everyday is a day to celebrate that reality.

So, happy brithday everyone! We are so blessed you are all here!

1 comment:

Julene said...

Maybe they get it right or 'better' in Korea. When a person is born, they are already one years old!