Monday, March 17, 2008

A New Day - Eastertide Week 1

I offer some starter thoughts and observations here which I have made from the texts for this week. I welcome your thoughts, input, and observations too!

Matthew 28:1-10

1 – “as the new day was dawning” Maybe this is the phrase to key in on for the whole message this week? The basic idea that it’s a new day, a new world, a whole new approach to life now, because of the resurrection. The Hebrew people measured days from the moment of sundown, but this seems to indicate a new way of even measuring time, from the moment of sunup.

2 - Earthquake – a result of the kingdoms colliding together?

4 – The guards shook with fear then fell into a dead faint. How do we know this? I initially had the impression this happened before the women arrived, but if it had, how would we have known that? Then I saw that since it says the Marys went to the tomb in verse 1, that perhaps they witnessed this happen, which is also what contributed to their great fear. Especially since verse 5 gives the impression that the angel immediately spoke to the women?

5 - “don’t be afraid.” – first words of the angel to the women

10 - “don’t be afraid.” – first words of Jesus to the women.

8 – ran, were very frightened, but filled with great joy.

9 – “as they went, Jesus met them and greeted them. Jesus came to them, right where they were.

9 - They grasped his feet and worshipped him – totally collapsed in a pile on the ground in front of him.

John 20:1-18

13 - “Dear woman, why are you crying?” – first words of the angel to Mary

15 - “Dear woman, why are you crying?” – first words of Jesus to Mary.

14 – She turned to leave and saw Jesus (even though she didn’t recognize him). He met her right where she was.

16 – She recognizes him when he says her name.

16 – she also turns to him when he says her name, which means she wasn’t looking directly at him. I sort of pictured her standing there talking face to face with this “gardener” but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

17 - “Don’t cling to me.” Why would Jesus say this to Mary?

I get the impression that she has also collapsed into a pile on the ground in front of him. I wonder if “don’t cling to me” was about him presenting her with a task? He had a job for her to do and she wanted to stay there?

17 - “Don’t cling to me, for I haven’t yet ascended to the Father.” Does that mean that once he had ascended she could cling to him?

Mary is in deep sorrow and wanting to find him (thinking he was still dead) in order to continue to mourn. The angels and Jesus both ask her why she is crying. Is this because they want her to realize there isn’t a reason for mourning anymore?

3 comments:

Nathan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I accidentally deleted Nathan's comment! I was trying to delete the other one, but I am still learning how this works! Sorry about that.

Here are Nathan's comments:

Bro -
In John's account, he includes the phrase "while it was still dark" in the beginning. The Church Fathers debate a bit about whether this was truly the middle of the night of very early dawn (which seems to be a pointless argument) except that some connect "still dark" to her/other's spiritual condition as well. Additionally, it's clear that Mary can hardly wait to get to Jesus.

Interesting that in Matt and John the angels and Jesus say the same phrases.

I agree that the picture of Mary's interaction with the "gardener" is very indirect. She's crying, probably downcast.

I think the recognition that comes in the moment Christ speaks her name is key.

I have no idea yet about what to do with the "don't cling to me..." part.

Thanks!