Friday, April 2, 2010

"Good" Friday

I understand why this day is called "Good" Friday. I understand the power of the sacrifice Christ made for us. I realize that unless he went to the cross, I could not experience forgiveness and grace.

I just have a hard time calling it good.

I think it has to do with my ongoing practice of Lent for the last several years. Having spent the past 40 days (almost) in discipline and thinking about the mess I am in when left to my own, it causes me to mourn and weep at the incredible sacrifice He made for me. To think that he was still willing to enter in to all that suffering, even though he knows how messed up I really am, it causes my heart to break.

So I get it. I understand the reality of why this day is so good, it just breaks my heart in the process.

Bad Friday Blessings

No comments: