Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Marked

Today is Ash Wednesday.  As I have helped faciltate our community gatherings today to celebrate and remember this day and the beginning of Lent, I have repeatedly said, "From dust you have come and to dust you will return."

At first glance this phrase from Genesis 3 (v. 19b to be exact) seems rather morbid.

Why would you want to tell people they will eventually die and turn back into dust?!

But when we take time to reflect a little deeper on this phrase, and we set it in the context of the larger season of Lent, we can see the real beauty behind it.

One of the things I love the most about this season, this day, and the marking of ashes in particular, is the powerful reminder it is that God is God and I am not!

I am temporal.

        He is Eternal.

I am problem.

        He is Solution.

I am broken.

        He is redemption.

So go ahead and mark me with the ashes, beccause they are just a symbol of who I am in light of Who He is!

And I am not afraid to show that.

No comments: