Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Inner Work

“The work that God is doing in us is always as important as the work God is doing through us.”


I read this statement this morning and was challenged by what it said. I completely agree with it...to a point. I certainly understand what the author was working to describe, but I actually think that the work God is doing in us is more important than the work he is doing through us. You see, the work that is happening in me, is the source from which I have to function for the work He is doing through me. Without the inner work, the outer work suffers. Oh it’s possible to carry on for a while, especially if you have a well from which to draw. But at some point, that reservoir will get depleted.


I realize there are times when we are called as leaders, as individuals, as families, to function “at the end of our ropes,” - when we must move out in total faith and lean only on the strength and power of the Holy Spirit. However, if I am not focusing on the inner work the Holy Spirit is attempting to do in my life, then when I have to step out in bold faith I am only stepping out on a thin branch of connection to the vine. But if I spend time focused on the inner work of the Holy Spirit in me, then my connection is thicker and stronger so that I can actually step out in greater confidence.


To put it in the language of the Master, if I abide in Him, then I will have the ability to accomplish even greater productivity for and with Him (John 15).


I am thankful for the way this quote sparked my thoughts. I think I just need to say it a little differently:


“The work God is doing in us is always more important than the work He is doing through us, because the work God is doing in us, fuels the work He is doing through us.”


No comments: