Friday, January 13, 2012

Want

I have a great friend who is currently working on his Master of Divinity degree. As a result, he is reading tons of great resources, which frequently leads us into long, fantastic discussions of theology and culture, which just happens to be the focus of this blog!

Recently he was studying (and wrote an exceptional paper, btw) the religion of consumerism. Want. How our culture, and consumerism in particular, is actually in the business of creating want in our lives. We always want the latest and greatest. And then when we get it, the next item is right there on the horizon waiting for us to come and get it. It's a system that is never fully satisfied.

Obviously this has caused some great discussions about Christ becoming the only source that can truly supply our want in life. In fact, just last night he shared some thoughts with me related to the Eucharist and how when we come to the Table of Grace we are tangibly consuming the One who will truly fill. Great stuff!

So this morning I turn to today's lectionary reading and I discover these verses:

I said to the LORD, “You are my Master!
Every good thing I have comes from you.”
LORD, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing.
You guard all that is mine.
You will show me the way of life,
granting me the joy of your presence
and the pleasures of living with you forever.
Psalm 16:2, 5, 11

God has already declared He desires to be the source of our want! His desire is to satisfy the cravings of our souls in a way that goes immeasurably past any temporal want. He invites us to become participants in the fulfillment of eternity - now!

Later today my oldest son is leaving for WinterCamp with our high school ministry, ClockWork (you can follow the weekend on Twitter at #CWWC). My prayer today is they would experience the incredible, eternal presence of the living God in such a powerful way that they can discover He is the true source of their want.

Oh yeah, and I want to continue to live into that Presence today too....

No comments: