Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Lent Eve

Here I am, the day before Lent and I am trying to listen to the Spirit tell me what I should do for this season this year. I have thought about several "standard" things that I have done in the past, but this year doesn't seem "normal" to me. It seems like there is too much happening in my life, and around me right now, for this year to be just "normal lent."

But even as I think about that, I suppose that's part of the purpose of Lent in the first place. It's not supposed to be normal. It's supposed to push us beyond ourselves, to get us out of that "place of selfishness" as my friend Nathan says. If Lent were normal, it wouldn't be Lent!

So I guess I will simply try and let the Spirit prod me toward something this year...something that will help me to live in that place of uncomfortability. At least for 40 days!

No comments: