Thursday, December 4, 2014

Expanding Hearts

One of the texts from the daily lectionary for today is from 1 Thessalonians 3:

"May the Lord cause you to increase and enrich your love for each other and for everyone...." (v.12)

This past Sunday in our Faith Family we recognized that in coming to our world and becoming one of us (Jesus in the Inccarnation), God demonstrated as powerfully as possible that we truly matter to Him!  As a result, we are called to allow His love for us to flow in us, and through us, to those who are in the world around us, so that by embracing them, we are an extension of His love.

When we think about that idea in light of this passage, it reminds us that we are called to do more than just love in a static way.  What we are actually called to do is allow our love to grow and expand further than it already has.  Our hearts shoulc continue to expand!

One of the most tangible moments I experienced this was when my second son, Seth, was born.  Since his older brother had been around for a few years already, I had already experienced a depth of love in my heart I didn't even know existsed.  Now that Seth was about to arrive, I was actually apprehensive because I thought there was no way I even had any more room in my heart with how much I already loved his mom and older brother.

But much to my surprise, when he arrived and I was able to hold him, it was like my heart actually expanded and my capacity for how much I could love grew.  It had to have grown, because I actually loved Seth as much as his older brother, which I didn't think was going to be possible!

Now, it's easy to love your kids and to allow your heart to expand with love for them, but it's a whole other matter to allow your heart to expand for rest of the world around you!  Oh I might be able to muster an expanded heart for someone I deeply care about all aready and I relate to very well.  But what about the person who absolutely just bugs me?

"May the Lord cause you to increase and enrich your love for each other and for everyone...." (v.12)

But what about the person I don't agree with?

"May the Lord cause you to increase and enrich your love for each other and for everyone...." (v.12)

Ok.  How about the person I know is a total sinner and is clearly not even wanting to walk with God?

"May the Lord cause you to increase and enrich your love for each other and for everyone...." (v.12)

And maybe that's why this blessing says, "May the Lord cause...."  Yep.  He's going to have to do it, because I know I certainly can't make that happen without some Divine intervention!

"Come, Lord Jesus, Come!"

No comments: