Tuesday, December 23, 2014

So That...

I have a good friend who recently tweeted out a question that I have been pondering in the back of my mind.  "Would love to see a statistic revealing how much people spend at Christmas ON THEMSELVES.  Wondering if it might be MORE than on others."  @nathanoates 

It so easy at Christmas (or perhaps more easy) to allow the influence of this world to cloud our Christian hearts and minds to think that all of these blessings are for us.  We spend time being grateful and celebrating the beauty of gift giving, but we forget that Emmanuel was never intended to just be for us.  God's plan has always been to create a people He could use to bless the whole world by bringing salvation to it.

May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face shine on us— so that your ways may be known on earth, your salvation among all nations. (Psalm 67:1-2 NIV)

These verses from this morning's Psalm reading, and in particular that little phrase so that, are a powerful reminder to us of this plan.

May I recognize this Christmas that I am never intended to be the end recipient of everything God's pours out for me.  I am simply designed to be a conduit of that grace.  I receive, so that I may share.

Come, Lord Jesus, Come.

No comments: